24 Hour Skype Around the World- 2014

Map- 24 Hour Skype Around the World

March 14th will see my grade (5/6F), Mrs A, my 8 year old son, my 6 year old daughter (they want in) and I awake and connecting for 24 hours!  We’ll be talking to kids from all over the world to see what their classes look like.  Some of the schools are Daily 5 schools too, so it will be interesting to see how our kids and kids from other parts of the world connect, with this being their common learning in literacy.

Hopefully the kids talk candidly, forgetting about the adults standing around listening to their every word.  This isn’t about us (the adults), it really is about the kids finding what they have in common with kids from other places.  Connecting, respecting and learning.  We have over 25 schools to chat to this year (sleeping will not be an option).

Some schools are chatting to us, purely to chat to English speaking children- they are learning English!  What better way to get kids communicating with each other. I know my students can’t wait- they can’t wait to stay up all night, it’s a social event for them more than anything…..oh, but it’s so much more! 🙂

One thought on “24 Hour Skype Around the World- 2014

1. Glad you’re so keen Kate. You’re right it’s so much more. But connecting to people is a big part of the skype. With ourselves as much as everyone else. Global and local connections. relstionships will be built between the children and teachers. This is a great time of the year to run the skype.
    It was great today when we could ask Mr Turner in Phoenix about a school we were having trouble locating as there were four of them. And even better when we heard his voice via Voxer.
    I’m looking forward to the rest of the program. I like the way the children are finding out the answers to questions they can find on google as I want them to realise what sort of things you can find on google and what you can find out by talking to people. Thanks Kate.